October 9, 2011

Book Review - The Stuff that Never Happened

I am in a strange place. I have no time to read anymore. Just a few stolen moment right before sleep. So I am in a quandry - read books that move quickly so that I can actually finish them? or books of more substance....that will take me a long time to read. I've be trying for the "quick reads" and haven't been too satisfied lately...

Which brings us to the book I just finished...

It wasn't horrible, I looked forward to reading it at night (would try to sneak in moments throughout the day), but it never kept me up late. That is the sign of an excellent book, which this was not.

The protagonist is a woman in her fifties, an empty-nester with a husband driven to write a book. She feels ignored and so we learn the story of the love that almost was, and why he is still in her head today.

Now, I'm sure that everyone plays the what-if game occasionally. But Annabelle let it rule her life. The book didn't give enough depth to the more than twenty-five years with her husband and children, there is a mere chapter outlining her life and the love she has for her husband.

Maybe I am hoping for too much, but I want more depth. This book and the last one that I read leave much lacking in describing the protagonist's relationship's with their husbands.

I guess I need to try a more substantive book...

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...