March 9, 2013

Two Kisses for Maddy

Two Kisses for Maddy
by Matthew Logelin
Grand Central Publishing, 2012


Though not a parenting book - I added it to my list this year as I think that there is always something to learn from memoirs. I am amazed at the strength of the author.  It's taken me awhile to write about this book, it's not an easy one to review! Only read if you are prepared to cry, a lot. I also laughed and smiled and was moved. It is an amazing story - one I hope no one has to go through.

It's the story of a man, who loses his wife and become a father within the span of just over a day. It is the story of a normal person - though a moving write - which makes it all the more heartbreaking, it could happen to anyone. His voice is real, he doesn't cover up his faults, his emotions, his pain. It is all the better for being so real.

I actually started this book a few chapters in because I didn't want to read the beginning. It made me too sad. I know, weird, but true. I went back and read them later, but for some reason I couldn't start at the happy beginning, knowing what was to come. Too emotional, I didn't want to know that happy part that was just going to lead to pain.

It was amazing to me that he took a step each day, he reached out, he started a blog, he supported others, he took his daughter to Paris, India, Nepal. He showed his daughter the world and tried to capture his wife's spirit. This book captured my heart, I hope you'll take the time to read it.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book. It's always so nice to hear about a father who takes his job seriously. But it does like I might want to skip the first portion of the book, and save the tears for later.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing book. I think I sobbed through the first half! So touching, so real and so amazing how great of a father he is!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...