February 10, 2013

The Hour that Matters Most

The Hour that Matters Most
By Les & Leslie Parrot, Stephanie Allen & Tina Kuna
208 pp. Tyndale House Books


I have to admit, I did not have high hopes for this book - but I really, really liked it! I was at Dream Dinners making some meals to go and saw a stack of them in the corner ~ I figured it would be sort of an interesting book/advertisement for Dream Dinners (founders are contributers). However, it is so much more than that! 

The core message of the book is why eating meals together as a family, especially dinner, is so important to a family. As the mother of a 2 year old, much of the content isn't quite relevant to me yet! I know, however, that I will be facing some of these issues in the future.

I come from a family where we ate meals together every night. I can't tell you how important that was to me growing up. I think it's so important to be together as a family every day. Now that my little guy is starting to eat at the table (cue tears, he's getting so big!!), I want to make sure that we set good habits now, ones that will last his whole life. He is SO very excited this week when we took the tray off of his booster chair and let him eat at the table with us.


Eating Dinner as a family

This book not only shared some easy family recipes, but it also had great advice on improving your conversations with your kids and spouse as well as improving your family relationships (even seems relevant to work relationships!).

This was one of those books that had me constantly marking pages and vowing to try out ideas when I can! I recommend it to anyone trying to make time for family dinner - or just for families looking for tips on how to make dinner the best hour of the day. I particularly love the conversation prompts! Definitely a 4/5 stars! I can't wait to implement some of the really great ideas!


6 comments:

  1. i love the sound of this book! We make it a point to have family dinners and it has helped us stay close

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that our little guy is finally on the same eating schedule, I want to make sure we make it a habit!

      Delete
  2. I believe eating as a family at a table not in front of the TV is absolutely important to how the family functions.
    Even with our 2 year old we always eat at the table, no electronics allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book! Family time at dinner is one of the most important times of the day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you liked this book. I'll have to add it to my list. Family meal time is so important and I have found memories of family meals too.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...