January 24, 2013

Ode to Oatmeal

When A was a baby, I ate oatmeal every.single.day. I got to be very, very tired of oatmeal. But I am ready to have it back as part of my diet. I've been experimenting with different kinds of oatmeal - instant, steel-cut, coconut, fruity - it's been kind of fun.

My favorite instant - great to grab and eat at work!

Quaker Real Medleys Oatmeal: Apple Walnut, Peach Almond, Summer Pistachio & Summer Berry

I tried Apple Walnut Oatmeal - which had real dried apples, cranberries and walnuts. All you had to do was add water and microwave. It was incredibly tasty, and didn't have that sickeningly sweet taste of most flavored instant oatmeal.

It's a great source of fiber (one of the reasons I eat oatmeal in the first place) and though it might be a tad high in sodium, some of the other flavors are significantly lower. By far my favorite of the instant oatmeal that I have tried!



My favorite if you have a little more time...

"Almond Joy" - Easy, yummy and good for you - even the dark chocolate, I swear!
  1. Take 1/2 cup regular oats and let it soak in 1 cup of coconut milk over night.
  2. Prepare the oatmeal as you normally would in the morning, adding a bit more liquid if you need. 
  3. Add shredded coconut, almond slices and a few dark chocolate chips on top. 
Oatmeal really is a great way to start the day - let me know if you have any other great recipes to try!

6 comments:

  1. hmm.. sounds yummy :) I am your new follower and found you via Kelly's Blog hop. Please feel free to visit me and follow if you are interested http://kiddiesfan.blogspot.ca/ Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. my. stars. This sounds delicious! I'm excited to be following you, now (found you at the harvest hop)! Hope you can visit soon, and maybe link this up in the craft forum on my site? Hope to see you there, soon!
    Heather
    stringtownhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good. I love almonds, coconut and especially chocolate. What a great way to enjoy oatmeal. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I'm dropping by today from the Harvest of Friends blog hop and am a new follower. Hope you can drop by too. Have a great weekend!

    http://heresmytakeonit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oatmeal is one of my all-time favorites. :)
    I'm your latest follower, visiting today from Our Everyday Harvest hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That oatmeal looks pretty good! Makes me want to give it a try:) New follower from Everday Harvest Hop:)

    www.busymomibee.com

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...